Thursday, October 23, 2014

Delicious Eats || GF Thanksgiving Cupcakes!

Our Canadian Thanksgiving was on October 13th, but we had our dinner on the 18th in Camrose, Alberta. While my father-in-law and his fiance were providing everything, I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help. We ended up getting the easy job, bringing dessert ;)
alamaxfield
With my husband and his sister having Celiac Disease, I've gotten pretty good at making gluten free desserts. Sometimes, I don't want to make things from scratch and just buy the store bought, pre-made stuff. Pre-made gluten free products are usually just loaded with sugar and other weird ingredients to make them taste decent. We've found that making our own from scratch tastes best. 

Like I said though, sometimes I just don't want to put too much effort in. Alas, I bought some GF cake mix from Superstore and went at 'er!
alamaxfield
Here's what you'll need for Apple Cinnamon Walnut Cupcakes (pretty Thanksgiving-ish, eh?):
  • 1 box GF yellow cake mix (I used President's Choice)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 3 tbsp cinnamon
1|| Follow directions on the cake mix box for oven temperature and pan preparation.
2|| SUB the eggs and butter on the package directions, for applesauce (1/4 cup for everything). Add in the applesauce, oil, cinnamon, and walnuts.
3|| Mix everything together! Add in to cake pan, or lined muffin pan. Bake according to package directions.
alamaxfield
Wait for the cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes before taking out of the pan. Cool them on a wire rack for an hour before icing. I suggest some cream cheese icing, for sure! I was lazy and bought the Duncan Hines whipped vanilla icing, which is also gluten free. 

Soooo, I don't have a picture of the cupcakes all iced and super yummy looking...as they're gone. They were delicious, and I'll definitely make them again, despite them being from a box.

I hope all my Canadian bloggers had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and I can't wait to see the recipes and festivities that my American bloggers will post about!

xo. Nicole

2 comments

  1. That looks so good! I have some friends with celiac so I'm glad to have a dessert recipe to try out when having them over :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm glad this will work for you! It's hard to make from GF scratch sometimes, especially to get the right consistency and such

    ReplyDelete