Thursday, October 9, 2014

Delicious Eats || Apple Butter

alamaxfield
I always buy too many groceries for the work week, and we're always left with bad carrots, apples, or bananas. Bananas are easy to freeze and use for baking. Apples? Not so much. I've been getting in trouble from the Hubs for stocking our freezer full of bananas, and I've been slowly making my way through our giant bag. Since apples aren't too simple to freeze, I decided that I needed to use them right away.
alamaxfield
I had an entire bowl (a whole bag!) of apples that just passed the point where they looked fine, but had that horrible mushy texture when eaten. I pinned and pinned, and asked friends what I should do with them. A friend brought up caramel apple pie jam. Does just thinking about it make you drool, too? We didn't have any pectin on hand at the time, so I settled for something just as wonderful.
alamaxfield
I came across a recipe on Pinterest for apple butter! It couldn't have been easier, and tastier! I skipped peeling the apples, and I wish I hadn't been so lazy. It's virtually refined sugar free, and a healthy alternative for something to spread on your waffles, pancakes, rice cakes, toast, etc.!
alamaxfield
I didn't put it through the food processor either, but I added a liiiittttle bit of corn starch at the end to thicken it up. It also recommended the stove to thicken it, but I'm lazy. I cooled it on the counter in 4 mason jars (3 little, 1 big) overnight, and put them in the fridge in the morning. 
alamaxfield
Also, apple butter is for sharing. I wrote a little note on the small jars, and tied with some Fall colour inspired ribbon. I hope the people on the receiving end enjoy their apple butter!

Do you share your baked/cooked goods?

xo. Nicole

10 comments

  1. This looks so yummy (and how thoughtful of you to decorate the jars and give them out)! My mom makes apple butter every year at Christmas but I'm not sure what her recipe is. And if I ever baked (which is rarely) I love to share it with others (cue drive-by-drop-off with a little note on the container :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is super yummy! I've had it on my rice cakes every morning this week ;) I can't wait to be a mom one day, and to start traditions like Christmas baking. I hope our love of sharing our baking gets passed down to our future kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! That's such a sweet thought. What other traditions would you want to start? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugar cookies, King Cake, hot chocolate packets, oh so many! What about you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oow yummm! For Christmas, reading/acting out the Christmas story, baking cookies together, and cutting our own tree from a farm haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea and how you decorated them! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! This looks so good! We have a ton of apples that I need to do something with so this is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is super good! I'm glad I could help ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, I've never thought of making apple butter before. I've always made apple jelly. & yes, I usually share my baking with my co-workers. They don't seem to mind too much. Haha.

    ReplyDelete