Wednesday, October 3, 2012

DIY Glitter Chalkboard

Rob and I went to the thrift store yesterday and came back with this mirror that really, I'm not sure why I bought it. I still had the chalkboard paint that I bought a loooonnngg time ago, so I figured, "why not make a chalkboard?!" I was also torn between what to do with the border. I accidentally painted it a couple times, so I was torn between lace or glitter. Glitter it was.
This is a really simple DIY that basically anyone can do. All you need is a mirror, chalkboard paint, Mod Podge, glitter, and a paint brush. (A paint roller would work better, though).
Follow the directions on the chalkboard paint. It's one coat, let dry for a minimum of an hour, and then put the second coat on top. Let it cure for 24 hours.
After the chalkboard paint is dry, put a layer of Mod Podge and sprinkle the glitter on top.
Let the glitter dry for about 20 minutes and then shake off the excess. After the excess glitter has been taken off, dab Mod Podge on top to seal the glitter. 

Your chalkboard is ready to be used!

Seriously, do not do this in your living room, on the floor, with a curious cat. It's like a fairy exploded here. 
I'm not sure where to hang it yet. I used the wrong kind of brush, so it may just be for home. I plan on making another one for the wedding!

xo. Nicole

No comments

Post a Comment