Monday, May 18, 2015

Our Family is Growing by...

...4 paws! Everyone, meet Spencer. 
alamaxfield
As soon as we got Gunner, we knew that we would want him to have a brother or a sister. Koshka kind of hates Gunner, so we knew a dog would be the way to go. Now is a perfect time because we have our own house, so there's stability and a yard. Our hearts are full with love for this dude!
alamaxfield
When we got Gunner, we got him off an ad on Kijiji and as an 8 week old pup. Since having him and always hearing horror stories about rescue dogs, we decided to go the rescue pup route this time. We went through SCARS and we couldn't be happier! They found Spencer on the side of the road in Saskatchewan with an injured paw. They had an 'open house' on Mother's Day for people to go and meet a bunch of dogs that were available to be adopted. Spencer was there and I fell in love. He was so sweet, calm, gentle, and really loved having us pet him. He is still pretty bony and timid. He flinches when I raise a hand to grab something, and when we take out a collar/leash to go for a walk. He also isn't a huge fan of toys, as he runs away or tries to cuddle with me when Rob and Gunner are tossing around his ball. My guess is that he was tied up for most of his puppy life and finally got out. They estimate him to be a Border Collie/Australian Shepard mix, and about 11 months old.
alamaxfield
Spencer is a total mom-suck and has cuddled me ever since he arrived. I love it! Him and Gunner get along so well, except Gunner's excessive energy is sometimes too much for Spencer. We know having him here is a process for all of us. We have so much to learn about Spencer, and he has so much to learn about people. I think he's coming to understand that we're nice and that we love him because of his cuddles and he paws me in the face in the morning. His hind legs are still too weak for him to jump up on to our bed, but we'll get there. 

I am so in love with Spencer, and I am so grateful for organizations like SCARS for doing what they do. Without them, we wouldn't have met our Spencer and he wouldn't have found his Furever home. 

Have you ever rescued an animal? I'd love to hear more!

xo. Nicole

3 comments

  1. So glad you guys were united! That just breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, and it overwhelms me sometimes when I think about how he's not having to go through whatever he went through, anymore!

    ReplyDelete